Brighter Smile Family Dentistry & Orthodontics is a full-service dental practice in Sterling, VA. We offer a full range of treatment options, including simple and complex tooth extractions. Dr. Zahra Kavianpour leads a team of professionals who are committed to helping each of our patients improve the health and function of their smile. We will examine your teeth, gums, and bone structure to determine if extraction is necessary. Our goal is to build a comprehensive treatment plan that is right for you.
Reasons For Tooth Extractions
- Impacted tooth: If a tooth does not emerge past the bone or gums, it is considered impacted. In these cases, the tooth will need to be extracted to avoid pain, discomfort, or infection.
- Deep tooth decay: If the decay reaches the pulp of the tooth, extraction may be necessary.
- Gum disease: in advanced cases of gum disease, it can lead to extensive tooth damage.
- To prepare for braces: If you have overcrowding teeth, you may need a tooth extraction to make room for braces.
- Damaged teeth: When damaged teeth can not be saved, they may require extraction.
Wisdom Teeth Removal in Sterling, VA
Wisdom teeth, also known as the third molars, usually develop in the late teens or early twenties. Many dentists recommend removing wisdom teeth to avoid complications in the future.
When the wisdom teeth don’t properly erupt, they can become impacted in the jaw bone, which may lead to pain and discomfort. In other cases, wisdom teeth can add pressure on the teeth, gums, and surrounding nerves, which can make chewing and speaking uncomfortable.
Our team at Brighter Smile Family Dentistry & Orthodontics can assess the condition of your wisdom teeth and determine if removal is necessary. Our team makes every effort to keep you informed and comfortable throughout all phases of your care.
Types of Tooth Extraction
Tooth extractions are described as either a simple extraction or a surgical extraction. Both types of extractions are performed under dental sedation to ensure that patients are comfortable and relaxed throughout all phases of their care.
- Simple extractions: Simple extractions are typically performed when the tooth is fully visible from the gum line.
- Surgical extractions: A surgical extraction is performed when the tooth is not visible from the gum line. A small incision is made into the gum tissue, and a small amount of the bone structure is removed to access the tooth.
Replacing Extracted Teeth
Missing teeth can affect the health and function of your smile, so it is important to find the right tooth replacement for your needs. With the exception of patients with wisdom teeth and overcrowded teeth, when the teeth are extracted, they will need to be replaced. We offer a full range of tooth replacement options, including dental implants, dental bridges, and dentures.
The type of tooth replacement you receive will depend on the number and location of your missing teeth, as well as your cosmetic goals. Dr. Kavianpour and our team will work with you to explore all of your options. For patients who are receiving dental implants, we can perform all phases of your care in the comfort of our Sterling dental office.
Tooth Extractions in Sterling, VA
Brighter Smile Family Dentistry & Orthodontics is a full-service dental office in Sterling, VA. We offer a full range of dental treatments to help improve the health and function of your smile. If you would like to learn more about tooth extraction or one of our other services, call 571.266.0255 or request an appointment online.